APPLE CHICORY SALAD WITH FENNEL, WALNUTS, AND PARMESAN
Spring is the ultimate season for fresh produce. Bright and nutrient-dense, this salad will awaken your taste buds after winter's heavy meals. In-season greens and vegetables, and fruits all shine in this yummy recipe.
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups chicory leaves (a mix of endive, radicchio, and Treviso), in large pieces
- 1 medium apple, cut off the core and thinly sliced
- 1 medium watermelon radish, peeled if skin is tough, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1-2 ounces shaved grass-fed parmesan
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped or broken up
- arils from half a large pomegranate (optional)
- flaky salt
- ground black pepper
- In a small jar, combine the shallot and salt. Mash with a small spoon until pulpy. Add the vinegar, stir to combine, then add the olive oil.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicories with the apple, radish, and fennel. Spoon over some of the vinaigrette, making sure to grab some of the vinegar and shallot that will settle on the bottom, and toss to combine. Sprinkle over the cheese, walnuts, pomegranate if using, and a few pinches of salt and pepper and toss gently. Taste, adding more vinaigrette, salt, pepper, or olive oil if you feel the salad needs it.